The Gamble Building (formerly Gamble Institute) was originally built as a library and technical school in 1896 to support the advancement of technical and scientific skills among the local population through the provision of a free library and technical school. Until 2017 the building housed St Helens Council staff and archives in addition to social care and support services, as well as the Central Library, when it closed due to concerns relating to its condition.